NOTE: This is only the first installment of the "Legacy Cycle." Other chapters may be found at Fractured Words

Legacy (FF)

Date: 02/11/2001
From: Tigs


Legacy
by Tigs
www.geocities.com/tigs2v

October 2029

The old man walked as briskly as his arthritis would allow down the crowded sidewalk. His cane tapped a funny rhythm as he walked. The occasional passer-by would stop and stare at him or point him out to someone else. He was a fairly tall black man, probably in his early eighties. His salt and pepper hair was matched by his mustache. Eventually he came to his location. A teenage boy held the door to Barnes & Global open for the old man. He stopped near a display to remove a kerchief from his pocket and wipe the sweat from his brow. Absently he noticed it was a memorial display for Leah Daniels, apparently her posthumous collection of writings had rivaled Emily Dickenson for sheer numbers. The third collection of her works had just been released.

"Dad, over here," a handsome black man in his mid-twenties sat at a small table sipping coffee. His blue jeans were faded and his leather jacket had seen better days. "How are you old timer?" He smiled at his dad.

The old man sat gingerly down in the chair. "Hmph. Why don't you let your hair grow out? Keeping your head shaved may not always be convenient." The younger man rolled his brown eyes as his father continued, "..and that goatee. What were you thinking?"

"Dad, give it a rest. What did you want to see me about? You said something about needing me to run an errand that might take a few days," he hefted a full rucksack.

"Yes. I'm sorry Max," the younger man almost visibly cringed.

"Okay Dad. But please call me MQ, not Max."

“MQ do you remember the stories I told you as a child?” While he waited for his son to answer the old man flagged down a server and ordered coffee.

“Sure Dad, you have a great imagination. I still remember the Sliding Adventures. Why?”

“What if I told you those weren’t imaginary.” MQ’s face registered complete shock. “I lived those adventures. Wade, Maggie, Max, Quinn--all of it.”

“How?”

“Well I got sucked into Quinn’s vortex ...”

“No dad. How come you are the only one here?”

“We were told that we would die on the next slide.” He paused to sip his coffee. “I couldn’t let the others take the risk. This was supposed to be my home world. But it wasn’t. It wasn’t even close.” He favored his son with a bitter smile. “I was too sick for too long. I missed my window back.”

“But that’s how you met Mom? She saved your life?”

“Yes she did. She heard all of my ramblings and believed in me. Your mother convinced me I was smart enough to get a Doctorate in Physics and to study sliding.”

“Two Nobel Peace Prizes later, she’s looking pretty smart,” MQ smiled at his dad.

“Your mother was a brilliant woman. I haven’t stopped missing her. Been at her grave every day for five years. But she’ll understand why I don’t come any more.”

“What are you talking about Dad?”

The old man pulled out a device that looked like a cross between an old fashioned universal remote and a cell phone. The display flashed.

5:00

4:49

4:48

4:47

“Is that the timer?”

“Yes. If I can’t live out my last days with your mother, then I’d like to do it with my friends.”

“I’ll go Dad. That is why I’m here isn’t it?”

“Thanks son. Let’s go out back.”

The alleyway was empty of all life except for the two men. A few green and brown dumpsters sat outside of stores and restaurants. "Finally," the old man whispered, "you'll believe me." He lifted the timer. He pushed a button in the center of it and two strands of blue electricity shot out. A vortex opened creating a small windstorm. The old man tottered forward and fell through. His son ran after him without thinking.

****

Elly Beckett looked at her mother. "I can totally beat that," she lifted her handgun and fired a clip at the paper target. Elly then pressed the retrieval button with one perfectly manicured finger. At five foot seven inches Elly wasn't as tall as she would've liked to have been, but the frame she inherited from her mother suited her height well. She had also inherited her red hair from her mother. Her deep blue eyes, however, as well as her personality came straight from her rabble rousing father. "Sweetness and light," she smirked to her mother as the target, minus the shot out bullseye, came close enough to see perfectly.

"I'm so happy you have good aim dear," Margaret Beckett rolled her eyes at her daughter. Age had been kind to Maggie. In her early fifties, her hair had darkened to a beautiful shade of auburn, a few fine lines made tracks beside her brown eyes, and her figure was still trim and athletic. "I suppose you are lunching with your father and Diana today."

"Mom, it's been thirty years, call him Quinn."

Margaret's eyes got the faraway look she usually had at the mention of Quinn Mallory, "not going to happen dear. He'll always be Mallory to me. Although I do appreciate the fact that he donated sperm for you," she hugged her daughter close for a moment. "Shall we go?"

“Yeah, but Mom I’ve got a question.”

Margaret eyed her daughter, afraid of what was coming.

“Who’s Remmy?”

“I knew I’d regret letting you read my old journals.”

“Oh please,” Elly tossed her hair back as she finished putting her stuff away. “It’s not like you kept one before you got stranded here. Besides, you love me too much not to let me read them.” Elly flashed her trademark smile at her Mother.

“Mmmmhmmm,” Margaret tried hard not to roll her eyes at her daughter.

“Besides, the way you write a bout Remmy, he’s the one you were in love with.”

“Honey, I didn’t realize what a gem Rembrandt was until he was gone. Losing him on top of Quinn less than a year earlier just about killed me. However, my feelings for Remmy weren’t the same. Yes, I loved him, but it was always platonic.”

****

A vortex opened inside a small laboratory. Papers flew in mindless madness and an old man fell out of the sphere of light. A younger man immediately followed and barely missed landing on the first. "Holy crap," the younger man exclaimed. "What was that?" He helped the older man up as he spoke, "are you ok Dad?"

"I'm fine son," he leaned on his son as he drank in every piece of equipment in the room, "this looks familiar. I wonder if we are near the warehouses."

The two men began to move through the room, picking up the occasional paper and examining it. MQ settled into a chair while reading through a newspaper and his father began to minutely examine the large pieces of equipment in the room. Neither of them realized that a silent alarm had been tripped as soon as they began moving around.

“Dad, remember that display in Barnes and Global?” MQ turned a troubled look upon his father.

“Sure. That Daniel’s girl.” Rembrandt opened the side console of a large turbine-looking machine.

“She just died here.”

“Hmmm,” Rembrandt only listened with one ear as he began to adjust the wires and connections of the machine.

“She died in the exact same way.”

“So?” He unclipped a wire.

“Dad, what are the chances? There’s something strange about this. Something’s off.” MQ scanned the article again.

“Perhaps she was suicidal too.” He reattached the wire in a new spot. “Much better.”

“Dad, according to everyone they interviewed she wasn’t suicidal. In fact, over and over people talk about this inner peace she had. This joy.”

“I remember something similar when they had the interviews on the Yesterday Show a couple of years ago. Maybe she just hid it well.”

“Hm.” Before MQ could elaborate further or think aloud two armed people burst through the door.

****

Diana Davis-Mallory kissed her husband irritably goodbye and rushed out the door. She waved halfheartedly to Maggie and Elly as they parked in front of the Hacienda style house. Her thick black hair was pulled back into a conservative bun and her brown eyes were snapping dangerously as she weaved through traffic on the way to the Lab. Another break in? She was furious. When would these cultists die out? It’d been almost thirty years since Claire had been discredited, yet still people insisted on trying to sabotage the work or “get a piece of history.” It was utter crap. And Diana had dealt with enough of it. These people were going down.

****

Quinn let his daughter and Maggie inside. “I’m sorry about that,” he smiled charmingly, “apparently there was another break in.”

“Poor Diana,” Elly said as she gave her Father a hug, “I hope you don’t mind that I brought Mom.”

Giving Maggie the once over, for old time’s sake, Quinn smiled, “you know I love seeing your Mother.” He winked at Maggie. “Bugs and Babs are downstairs.”

“Dad, why do you insist on calling him that? It’s brutal. His name is Colin, not Bugs. I know you think that cartoon was great or whatever, but give it a rest.”

Quinn just laughed and Maggie chuckled.

Elly made her way downstairs and waved at the twins. Colin and Amanda were polar opposites, in every way. Colin was tall and lanky like his father with skin a soft brown shade. His blue eyes were deep and usually disconcerting. He was so intense and quiet that people often missed his witty humor or took it the wrong way. “How’s tricks Sis?” he greeted Elly as he fiddled with some new device.

Amanda, or Babs as she was better known, tossed her Archeology Digest aside. “We still on for tomorrow’s shopping spree?” The girls both loved to shop. Babs took after her mother with delicate features and a petite frame. Her dark good looks made her quite the catch for weekend parties among the museum crew she frequented.

“Of course, we have to shop before you leave for Egypt Saturday.”

“You are the two girliest girls I’ve ever met,” Colin muttered under breath.

“What’s that Bugs?” Elly gave him her most innocent look.

“Bite me?” He mumbled as he put the cover on his latest project. “Done and done.”

“Sweetness and light,” Elly said, “does that mean you’ll actually talk to us?”

“Ha. Ha.” Colin rolled his eyes, “you girls know I love you.” He gave his little sister a big kiss while Babs chuckled.

****

“What the hell are you doing to my machine?!” Diana stormed into her personal lab while continuing the tirade that had started as soon as she hit the building. A tall man followed her, cowering. “I’m waiting for answers people. So, somebody had better start talking.” She rounded on the two men that had been caught. The younger one had a look of utter astonishment on his face. Somehow he was familiar to her. The older one smirked. Diana raised an eyebrow, “something funny old timer?”

Rembrandt tried to contain his laughter, somewhat unsuccessfully, “you’ve certainly come out of your shell.”

“Excuse me. Who do you think you are?”

“Dr. Rembrandt Brown. Of course, you might remember me as the Cryin’ Man.”

Diana’s entire demeanor changed. Her assistant--the tall, cowering man--had never actually seen this side of her. Colin had claimed it existed, but to actually see it was disturbing. She walked over to him, almost hesitantly. She looked him over as if searching for something. Then she threw her arms around his neck. “Rembrandt!”

“Hey girl,” he gently returned the hug. “Looks like you’ve done alright for yourself.”

“Yeah. Oh, Quinn and Maggie will be so happy to see you. And you get to meet the kids. Speaking of which,” she paused. “Who is this?”

“I’m Maximillian Quinn Brown, but I prefer MQ.” He turned up the charm and Diana was instantly won over. MQ kissed the back of her right hand, the one she’d offered in a handshake.

“I see he has your charm. Well, would you two like to come to the house? Tell us about how you got here?”

****

Margaret helped Mal--Quinn. She mentally shook herself; Elly was right. It had been thirty years. Quinn wasn’t coming back and neither was Remmy. She had to finally accept things. It had never been easy for Maggie to accept things she didn’t want to see though. In fact, that was probably what had caused her the most heartache in her life time. She laid five plates onto the large table. “Do you think Diana will be back for lunch?”

“Let me call and ask.” Quinn speed dialed his wife, “hey baby. You going to be back in time for eats? Two guests? Ok. Yeah, we’ll see you in ten. Love you too.” He turned a thoughtful gaze on Maggie, “I wonder what’s going on. It’s not like Diana to bring company over.”

Maggie was already pulling out the stuff for two more place settings. “At least she’ll be making good time. That pasta looks incredible. How long have you been a good cook?”

“Maggie, m’gel. You should really come over more often. I’m quite the gourmand,” Quinn’s wink accompanied his mispronunciation. “This is home made white clam sauce. Fresh angel hair pasta. Garlic bread from scratch. Wine from Thomas’ vineyard.” At the mention of his oldest son Quinn’s eyes took on a faraway look.

“He’s coming around Mal--Quinn.”

“Thanks.” In one of his usual lightening changes of mood he lighted on another topic, “you do know what you just did right? You called me Quinn.”

“I’m working on it. Don’t rub it in.”

“What’s changed?” Quinn set out wine glasses.

“I let Elly read my journals from our first years here.”

“Oh.” He drew out the word and let it hang like an offer to elaborate.

“She asked me about Rembrandt.” Maggie absently wiped a tear from her cheek. “He’s not coming back any more than Quinn is. I may not always want to face reality, but if he were coming back. It would’ve been today.”

****

He examined the timer carefully. “Dammit,” he breathed raggedly. His hands started to shake slightly. He picked up a brown duffel bag and dumped out the contents. A knife covered in dried blood fell to the floor. In a daze he reached a hand down and picked it up, almost lovingly. “Can’t lose you. You make it so easy. So easy.” A maniacal grin spread across his face as his mind drifted to images of the doubles he’d brutally killed. “Genius. I’m a genius.”

His laughter startled the maid preparing to knock on the door. She left quickly.

“I need a timer,” he whispered to the knife, caressing it in his dark hands. “I need to meet her again.”

 


*Special thanks to TemporalFlux for the premise to this set of stories and the editing.*

I'll be posting these weekly, so I hope those who read these enjoy them.


Wonderful!

Date: 02/11/2001
From: JessieMallory


Tigs,

Great Story, looking forward to lots and lots more.

Jess
jessiemallory@yahoo.com

Great! Spectacular!

Date: 02/11/2001
From: Brand_S


Can't wait to see more!

<waits for bag of money to arrive>

WELL?!?!?!

Seriously, very cool story, Tigs. I can't wait to see the next installment!

S

WHO IS IT??

Date: 02/11/2001
From: Informant


Tell!!!

:o)

Date: 02/11/2001
From: Mychand


Can't wait to read more!

My
www.mychand.com

Very Nice!!

Date: 02/11/2001
From: Yeontoo


Dear Tigs,

I love this :)

blessings
Yeontoo

Oooo, I like!

Date: 02/11/2001
From: Recall317


MQ, Elly, Amanda, and Colin. Looks like the next wave of the Quantum Quartet!

Looking forward to the next installment!

R

This is incredible!

Date: 02/11/2001
From: Chaser9


I absolutely love this! I definately want this on Otherworlds.

PLEASE!

--Chaser9
http://www.slidersweb.net/otherworlds

LTNS . . . this was great.

Date: 02/11/2001
From: Stoker_chick


Sorry it's been so long. Tigs, I miss reading your works. This was wonderful. I hope everything is going well. I'll try to resume lines of communication as soon as humanly possible.

Later days,

Stochi

WhooHooo girly :D

Date: 02/11/2001
From: dellyone


Awesome beginning. I can't wait for the next installment.


dellyone

What everyone else said

Date: 02/11/2001
From: nole9


and more. I think it's a great premise. Remmy as a Nobel laurate? There's an idea whose time has come, I will belooking forward to next week's.

Excellent work Tigs!

Date: 02/11/2001
From: sliderules


Outstanding job on this one. I hope that this killer is who I think it is, it will bring for an interesting story indeed. Keep it up!

sliderules
"The Moive You will nevvr see:
Sliders: The Curse of Hannibal Lecter"

Woo hoo Tigger!!!

Date: 02/11/2001
From: DieselMickeyDolenz


Nice work kitty! Can't wait to read the rest.

DMD

Wonderful!!

Date: 02/12/2001
From: SweetOne


I love it. Can't wait for more.

SweetOne
"When friends meet, hearts warm."
John Day

Freakin'.

Date: 02/12/2001
From: QBall79


Very nice Tigs.

Q-Ball79
http://www.slidersweb.net/

Very Good

Date: 02/12/2001
From: sliderlynn


This story is very good.Sweetone told me about it.
Will be waiting for next chapter.

TRES BIEN TIGS!!

Date: 02/12/2001
From: MTwain


Excellent new fan fic!! Would you pleez hurry up with part two already!! ;-)

I love it, what a fresh new approach!! I can't wait to see where the kids take us :-)

I hope you keep this on your web site so I can catch it there if I miss an installment on the board!!! I also like the new poem on your site!

Kudos to TF for his added editorial support!

HUGG
Twainy
:o)

Original URL http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/545/24958
Nominated by DMD

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext