RebirthPt7 (Fanfic)

Date: 8/7/2000
From: Slider_Quinn21

Mary and Rob sat in the ventilation shaft. They were working as hard as they could, trying to erase the tracking devices from the main computer. Unfortunately for them, they had lost that part of the computer. They were getting places, but they were also running out of time. The watch on the panel in Mary's hand said that they had fifteen minutes before the Kromaggs regained full control of the computer.

Mary knew they had less time, though. In the next few minutes, the Kromaggs would find them. And they wouldn't survive long after that....

SLIDERS
"Rebirth"

STARRING
Jerry O'Connell as Quinn Mallory
Sabrina Lloyd as Wade Welles
Cleavant Derricks as Rembrandt Brown
and...
John Rhys-Davies as Arturo

QUINN
The leaders of the Kromaggs! You can't be serious!

BENNISH
We have proof...

QUINN
Proof?

BENNISH
Yes, but before I tell you, I'll let you in on a little secret. The day you left, Quinn, the FBI came to me. They took me to your basement, and they showed me all of the cool gizmos there. Now, I theorized that you had crossed the ERP Bridge, and that you had crossed into another dimension. Using your research, I was able to make my own device and enter another dimension. First contact with another dimension. I made several trips before coming back. The FBI, then, began work on a secret research lab. We were able to create a laboratory that tracks wormholes, and during the process, we began perfecting the science. It was rather easy.

So, two years ago, the lab went online. We were waiting for your arrival. Then, a few months ago, we received a signal from a Quinn Mallory. It was no matter. There had been several of your doubles that came along. But this one made contact with your mother. Then, he left. Or should I say, you?

We wondered why you would leave? We assumed it was because of your "friend". Then, three months ago, we picked up the trail of Wade and Rembrandt. One lived in Los Angeles, and one lived in San Francisco. Oddly enough, those were the first two cities hit by the Kromagg invasion.

Now, earlier today, we picked up your signal again, Quinn. Only a few hours later, our world was attacked by the Kromaggs. Then, came our friend, the Professor.

Arturo began to laugh.

BENNISH
Is there something funny, Professor Arturo?

ARTURO
I don't know where to begin! First of all, you are making extraordinary claims based on coincidence. Secondly, I can't stop laughing at the fact that you're not a hippie anymore!

Bennish ignored Arturo's second comment, and continued.

BENNISH
Not too extraordinary, Professor Arturo. When our men brought you in, we discovered a device inside your neck. And yours too, Quinn. We discovered that the device was a beacon, designed to bring the Kromaggs to this world.

Quinn and Arturo were in amazement. They hadn't remembered any devices placed inside their necks. But, also, they couldn't say for a fact, that they weren't there. Quinn knew that it could've been placed there either time he was captured.

BENNISH
And then, there was this...

Bennish pulled out the Kromagg timer. Quinn saw it, and he began to worry. Now, he was in trouble.

BENNISH
We checked these markings with those of a Kromagg ship we destroyed. We have confirmed that this is Kromagg in origin. So, we have determined that Mr. Brown and Ms. Welles were sent here as scouts, to determine the weaknesses of our world. Then, Quinn came along, and the Kromagg invasion began. But where do you come into this, Professor Arturo?

ARTURO
Nowhere, you blistering idiot! This is all preposterous!

BENNISH
This interrogation is over. Agent Wilson will take you to your cells. Make yourselves at home.

With an evil smirk, Bennish left the room. Agent Wilson saw that Bennish had left the Kromagg timer on the table, so he picked it up.

WILSON
I don't think that you are going to get your hands on this.

With that, the sliders were moved out of the interrogation room, towards their cells.

Seven minutes. In seven minutes, the Kromaggs would take their only chance of saving Earth Prime away. Mary had used almost all of the passwords she had learned on the restricted area. She was ready to give up. Rob did all he could, but most of the computer writing was in Kromagg. He couldn't make heads or tails of it. He just kept his eyes on the watch, ready for it to hit zero.

Agent Wilson led the sliders down a corridor. Quinn thought of overpowering the agent, and making a run for it. But, they were home now. They had to face the consequences of their actions, now.

But, before they could reach their cells, the sliders heard a noise overhead. It was a Kromagg manta ship. Seconds later, they heard weapons' fire. One of the lasers fired hit the area around the corridor the sliders were in. The walls began to shake, as the ceiling behind them collapsed. More of the ceiling fell, with a piece hitting Agent Wilson. A voice from above told all of the agents in the building to descend to the bunker area. The building was under attack, and there were Kromagg ground troops entering at all entrances. The building was to self-destruct in five minutes.

A minute and a half. That's all the time they had. There was no way they were going to get to the program in time. They had entered the primary access controls for the devices, but it would take a few more minutes to lock them out. Mary insisted that they try and sneak back into the control room and slide away. Rob almost gave in. But he had an idea.

The sliders ran down the corridor, and reached the prison area. They were trapped. There was no way out.

Another laser blast came, and hit the prison area. After the debris had cleared, Rembrandt spotted a hole in the building, and a way to climb out. The sliders prepared to climb the wall.

Mary entered the control passwords. Rob's idea would work. If she couldn't lock out the devices, she would disable them from there. If would cause injury to them both, but it would save their world. She set the countdown for ten seconds, as the two made their way towards the control room

Rembrandt had been the first to climb the wall. He had made it half-way. The had to hurry. The building would self-destruct in a couple minutes. Quinn began to climb, when there was a sharp pain in his neck. Arturo felt it too. In seconds, Quinn and Arturo were on the ground, unconscious.

WADE
Quinn! Professor!

Rembrandt saw that his friends had fallen, and he began to descend the wall. There was no question of whether or not he should help them.

REMBRANDT
What happened?

WADE
I don't know! They just fell! What are we going to do?

REMBRANDT
I don't know! We can't leave them here, but we can't carry them up. There has to be another way!

Wade went over, and checked Quinn's neck. Then, it fell out of his pocket. Amongst the chaos, Quinn had reached into the coat pocket of Wilson and took out the Kromagg timer. No one noticed that he had taken it. The timer was their ticket to safety. She showed it to Remmy.

REMBRANDT
Nice going, girl! Let's get out of here!

Wade activated the Kromagg timer, and Rembrandt pushed Quinn and the Professor inside the vortex. Holding each other's hands, Wade and Remmy jumped inside. A minute later, the building exploded.

Rob and Mary were a few feet from the control room. Rob spotted two Kromagg guards. Rob jumped on one, surprising him. The other pulled out his gun, and he aimed it at Rob. Mary jumped on top of him. Both were unconscious.

MARY
More guards will be coming.

Mary opened the vortex in the room. Rob offered Mary the chance to jump first, but she declined. Rob ran and jumped toward the vortex. Before he entered it, he saw the Kromagg guard fire the laser at Mary. He screamed, just as he entered the gateway.

Mary was hit in the leg by the Kromagg laser. The guards dragged her away from the room, as the vortex was closed. She had lost her freedom once again.


One week later...

Quinn sat on a park bench in Golden Gate Park with the others. He didn't understand it. The timer wouldn't register the coordinates of Earth Prime. The timer must have been damaged in the attack. The sliders were lost again. But they were together. Their journey had begun anew.

Rob had been transferred to Earth Prime the day before. He sat in an apartment, with the radio on.

RADIO ANNOUNCEMENT
Today is a good day for humanity. Last week, the mysterious Kromagg vortices stopped entering our atmosphere. I am very proud to tell you that our forces have destroyed the majority of the Kromagg ships here in the United States. The same type of things have happened in Europe. The Military has said that the Kromaggs should be destroyed in the next couple days. And the people with relatives in Africa, Asia, and Australia, the United Nations says that troops will be sent to destroy the Kromaggs there. I repeat. The Kromaggs are being defeated by our forces here on Earth. V-K day is almost upon us!

In other news, the FBI has refused to comment on the claims that there is a secret military bunker outside San Francisco. More on this story at 6:00...

Mary sat in a Kromagg interrogation room. She had been in many of these before, but this was the first time in a while that she was being interrogated. She barely heard the words of her "masters". She no longer cared. She knew what was ahead of her. She opened her ears, just to hear the last part of the Kromagg's words.

KROMAGG
Mary, despite your loyal service to the Kromagg Dynasty, your saving of an entire world is not acceptable. You are sentenced to death.

Mary was forced to her knees. A Kromagg guard raised his gun, and fired at Mary. She was finally free.

THE END

Fantastic ending, man! <end>

Date: 8/7/2000
From: EustiSlider

8^)

Awesome ending.

Date: 8/7/2000
From: dellyone

Finally the sliders are together again. Nice writing. I hope to see more fanfics from you. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.


dellyone

WOW!

Date: 8/7/2000
From: DoctorQuinn

That was top-o-da-line! I loved it! Every chapter! Every sentence! <cheers>
You should write fanfics more often. MUCH more often!


The good doctor

woo-hoo!

Date: 8/7/2000
From: sweetone

Great job. That's the kind of Sliders we could have had, if Peckibaby had used the brain in his head instead of the head in his pants. Hope to see more fanfic from you.

Sweetone

For those who like "Rebirth"...

Date: 8/7/2000
From: Slider_Quinn21

read my Season 6....

http://slidersweb.net/otherworlds/214

Sorry about the shameless promotion....

:-)

Quinn

Ack! Bunnyfeathers!

Date: 8/8/2000
From: DoctorQuinn

<slaps head>
Slider_Quinn21, I am very aware of your wonderfully-crafted Season 6. And then I go off and make a stupid comment like "you should write fanfics MUCH more often".
Ugh.
Please accept my apology!


The good doctor

Original URL http://www.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/545/22517
Nominated by Slider_Quinn21

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext