Time in a Bottle (25)

Date: 08/22/2001
From: SouthernSlider


HUMP DAY! I told you it would get here. The week is going pretty fast isn't it?

----------------------------------------

Chapter Twenty-five


“Now what?” asked Remmy.

“We get out of here, find Austin, get the timer and blow this joint,” answered Maggie. “Same old, same old.”

Quinn tried to ignore them. They were responsible for this mess, and he was going to give them hell as soon as they got out of this predicament. He scanned the room to see if there was anything that could be of help. His thoughts strayed in the process.

<Why did I ever act on that TV commercial? I should have known delving into the unknown would get us into trouble. I guess all of this is as much my fault as theirs. As
usual, it comes back to me.> His eyes fell on the professor.

“Professor, don’t you have anything that could get us out of here? A set of keys, a pass card, something?”

“Sorry, lad, this is not my jurisdiction. I’m in charge of the scientific wing. I don’t have access to everything in this part of the complex. But you can rest assured that
blithering idiot is going to pay for this. I’ll have him banned -- locked up -- for taking matters into his own hands.”

“Quinn, we’ve got to do something.” Maggie pulled at his sleeve with urgency. It was all he could do to keep from slapping her. “We’ve got less than an hour to get out of
this room and find the timer.”

“You think I don’t know that. Just what do you suggest?” he said in disgust.

Before Maggie had a chance to react to his obvious displeasure at her, the door opened. Jim Austin walked in with a smug grin on his face.

“Well, people, you will be happy to know that your visit with us has been prolonged. Your remote device is being picked apart as we speak. You won’t be going anywhere until you do as I ask, Mr. Mallory. We need you here, and here you will stay, until you can rig up a device similar to yours that will allow us to return from our past.”

Quinn tensed. If they took the timer apart, he would never get it back together in time for the slide. They were going to be stuck here for a long time. His composure
snapped.

Charging the gloating man, he knocked him to the floor, grabbing his head on either side and banging it against the hard tiles. Quinn screamed obscenities at him in
rhythm with the pounding. Maggie, Remmy, and Colin were frozen with surprise. For several seconds they just stared at the maniac Quinn had become.

When it was obvious he wasn’t going to let up, Colin regained his composure and ran to Quinn’s side.

“Quinn, you must stop!. You will kill him.”

This brought Remmy and Maggie out of their stupor, and they, too, tried to bring him to his senses. But Quinn was dazed, his eyes glassed over. He couldn’t hear them,
and couldn’t stop his assault. Remmy and Colin exchanged glances, then pounced on Quinn to drag him away from his prey. Arturo then knelt to administer aid.

“Quinn, we have to get to the timer. Killing the man who knows where it is will not help us.”

Quinn knew his brother was right. “Sorry, Colin. I just snapped. Let’s get this bastard to take us to the timer, and pray it hasn’t been completely destroyed.”

They pulled Jim to his feet. He was still reeling, his mind in a daze. When Quinn spoke with him, he mumbled incoherently, which caused Quinn to yell at him even more.

“Mr. Mallory, I think you and your temper have thrown away any chance of gaining the knowledge you seek. You’ve knocked him senseless.”

“Well, what about you?” Quinn spun to the professor. “Where would we find a lab or something where the timer would be taken? Would it be in your section of the complex?”

“I do not think so. Mr. Austin has no authority over there. And I have no knowledge of this side of the operation. I . . .”

Before Arturo could offer any further explanation, Quinn turned back to Austin. He grabbed him by the lapels and propelled him toward the wall. Pinning him there, he
issued an ultimatum.

“Austin, you take us to that timer right now, or I’ll finish the job. You’ll never walk out of here alive if we miss that sliding window.”

Remmy’s eyes widened. He had never seen Quinn so crazy. The way Quinn growled the words, Remmy knew for sure he meant what he said.

“Ra . . . Randol . . . Randolf,” Jim finally spit out. He had just enough presence of mind to know that his attacker meant what he said. He wasn’t ready to die for the
cause. It wouldn’t benefit him to be able to travel back and forth in time if he were dead.

“Where? Where can we find this Randolf?” Quinn pushed him against the wall once more for emphasis.

“Cor . . . Corridor B. Lab.”

Quinn abruptly let go of his captive. He slumped to the floor, thankful for his release, and praying he would survive. His head pounded mercilessly, his vision blurred.

“Can you get us there, Professor?”

“I think so.” He reached down and fumbled inside Austin’s jacket. His reward was Jim’s authorized pass to the complex. “This should get us where we want to go if
my own credentials will not.”

They headed out the door and back from whence they had come. At the entrance stood a sentinel who wasn’t going to be easily swayed from the look on his face.

“My good man, Mr. Austin has had some kind of seizure. He’s passed out on the floor. Last room down the corridor,” Arturo said with urgency. He flashed his own
credentials at the soldier, holding the other back. “He needs medical attention immediately.”
Gazing at the card held in his face, the soldier recognized Professor Arturo and immediately went for help. It never occurred to him that the Professor was anything but honest.

Arturo led the rest of the crew out the doors and down to
Corridor B. Quinn checked his watch. Would they make it in time? Could he get the timer in working order quick enough?

“Twenty minutes, brother.”

Colin’s words made negative answers to those questions spring to mind.
--------------------------------

Tomorrow.

SS

Will they make it in time?

Date: 08/22/2001
From: DieselMickeyDolenz


At least if they miss their window, they've got a way to try it again.

DMD

WOW!

Date: 08/22/2001
From: SweetOne


Dear SouthernSlider,

I finally had a chance to catch up on chapters 17-24. As always your work is wonderful. I look forward to the remaining chapters.

Have a lovely day.

SweetOne
"Friendship is the poetry of life."
unknown

ps Did you like your foot rub from your Sweet Baboo??

Original URL http://www.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/1095/3552
Nominated by DieselMickeyDolenz

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext