Until We Meet Again (9)

Date: ??/??/2001
From: SouthernSlider


“Kelly?”  Colin said softly.  No response.  He put his hand gently on her shoulder.

She turned slowly toward him.  “Yes?”

“Maybe it would not hurt if you went and talked to her.  You are not going to be able to get her off your mind.  Maybe you could explain to her that you had a sister that looked a lot like her.  That would be truthful without giving away the fact that we are sliders.”

“I don’t know, Colin.  Part of me says ‘yes’ to that idea, but another part says I would fall apart with my first words.  I’m not sure I can face that woman.  I think I just want to gaze at her from afar and remember better times when my sister and I were together.”

She squeezed his hand, and pushed back the tears that were threatening again. Colin returned the gentle squeeze then inquired about his brother.

“You did not see my brother on your way here, did you?”

“Actually, yes I did.  But when he saw me, he turned and headed in the other direction.  I took that as a cue that he didn’t want to talk, so I didn’t follow him.”

“Where was he headed?”

“I watched him cross the street and head toward the park, then something pulled at me to come here.  I get the feeling he was headed here also, before seeing me.”

Colin looked into her eyes, but the question on his lips never materialized. Kelly said it for him while he hesitated.  “Yes, I’ll be fine.  Go and find your brother.  I’m going for a short walk and then head over to see Conie.”  They left arm in arm as Wade watched from the stage door.

***

Remmy paced back and forth as long as he could stand it.  Maggie had left not long after Colin, claiming fresh air would clear her mind.  Quinn had never returned.  He wondered if Colin had found Kelly.  When he checked his watch, he knew Wade would begin her show in a few minutes, so he grabbed his jacket and headed for the Sassy Brass Bar.  He questioned his actions for a split second, but pushed any doubts away before they could take hold of his conscience.

He entered the bar without reservation and sat in the corner nursing a beer for the rest of the evening, watching Wade and remembering years past.  When the final set was done, he jumped up and followed her backstage.

“Another fine job, sweetheart,”  he said when he met her.

“Thanks, Remmy.”  She smiled sweetly, then looked away.

A jolt went through him as he heard that name.  Again, the question arose. What made her call him that?

“Look, would it be possible to go somewhere and talk; get a drink or a cup of coffee, or something?”  He had to find out what she thought of his story earlier today.

“I think that would be a good idea.  I would like to talk to you about today. How about my apartment?”  They left fifteen minutes later, after helping her with her part in putting away equipment, arm in arm.

Wade’s apartment was small, but cozy and very homey.  Everything Remmy saw made him think of his Wade.  “It’s just like she would have it,”  he whispered.

Wade noticed him talking to himself out of the corner of her eye.  As she poured a glass of wine for each of them, she thought about their upcoming conversation. Would he tell her more about sliding?  Would she reveal that she was his Wade?  She wanted to, but didn’t know if she had the courage.  How would it effect all of them if she did?

“Here you are, Remmy.  It’s not the most expensive wine in the world, but it suits my taste.  I hope you like it.”  She handed him the glass and lowered herself to the sofa.

Remmy felt his heart jerk in his chest as she called his name.  When he took the glass from her hand, their fingers brushed together.  He suddenly felt a rush of warmth go through his body.  He saw Wade frown, then almost smile.  She must have noticed the way she affected him.

“Wade?”

“Yes, Remmy.”

He felt that odd tug at his heart again.  “What made you call me, Remmy?”

Wade’s face flushed.  Because I’ve always called you Remmy.   She almost blurted her thought aloud before she could catch herself.

“I, uh . . . I don’t know.  It just seemed to fit.  I’m sorry if it offends you.  I can call you Rembrandt, if you prefer.”

“Oh, no, sweetheart.  It’s not that I don’t like it.  It’s just that someone else used to call me that . . . my Wade.  I just wondered why you would call me that too.  I don’t remember mentioning it.”

Wade fought to control herself and keep her emotions in check.  “I don’t know, Remmy,”  she lied,  “You just look like a Remmy.”

“Then that’s what I’ll be,”  he said.  After an awkward pause, he continued. “Wade, what about our conversation earlier today?”

Wade lowered the glass from her lips as a wave of apprehension passed through her.  “What about it?”

“Did you believe it?  Do you think I’m crazy?  I swear to you it’s all true. As ludicrous as it may seem, it’s all true.  I’m not a lunatic.  I’m not trying to throw you some line.”  He babbled onward, hardly taking a breath, trying to convince her of his sincerity.

“Remmy, it’s all right.”  She placed her hand on top of his.  “I believe you.”

“You do?”  It almost surprised his that she would accept his story.  “You don’t think I’m off my rocker.”

“She smiled warmly, then squeezed his hand.  “No, I don’t think you’re off you’re rocker.”

Wade stood suddenly and walked toward the window.  She felt it rising up in her. She was going to tell him the truth, and there was nothing she could do to stop it.  He had trusted her so, had opened himself up to her and had laid out a seemingly implausible story.  She couldn’t let him walk away under the impression she was a different Wade.

It had been so long in coming -- the day she would be reunited with her friends . . . and Quinn.  Quinn.  How did he feel about all of this?  Had Remmy even told him about their get-togethers?  If he had, why hadn’t Quinn wanted to come along?  Did he not care anymore?  Did he love Maggie now?  Uncertainty flooded her soul.  Before she let go of the truth, she had to find out some things about Quinn.

 

Original URL http://www.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/1095/???? (purged)
Nominated by DieselMickeyDolenz

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext