Until We Meet Again (16)

Date: ??/??/2001
From: SouthernSlider


Colin stood in front of the wood-paneled door and took a deep breath.  He raised his fist to knock, then hesitated.  Looking up, then closing his eyes, he prayed once more that he would have the right words to say, and that things would turn out right for everyone.

It had been the consensus that he would talk to Wade first.  Since she didn’t have any emotional interest invested in him, she might not slam the door in his face. Maybe he could get her to talk about what was going on.  He knocked on the door.

It opened within seconds, and a petite brunette greeted him.  Colin flinched. He hadn’t been this close to the woman before, and although he knew she and Kelly looked a lot alike, he wasn’t prepared for such a resemblance.  Except for the height, they could be twins.  He hoped this feeling wouldn’t affect his task at hand.

“Wade Welles?”  he finally managed to say, but knowing it wasn’t necessary to ask.

Wade’s breath caught in her throat.  She knew who this man was, and knew he wouldn’t be here if Remmy hadn’t told him who she really was.  Why him?  Was he the only one Remmy told?  If not, then why didn’t Quinn show up?

For a split second she thought of slamming the door in his face, but somehow she had the feeling that wouldn’t deter this man.  He had determination in his eyes -- just like Quinn.  When she saw that look, she knew there would be no stopping him.  The only way to find out the truth was to let this man in.

“Yes.  And you’re Colin Mallory.  Please, come in.”

Colin was a bit surprised at how easy that was.  He had expected her to resist, at least, a little.  He swallowed hard.  Maybe Kryoptus was here, and maybe he wasn’t the only one.  What if he was walking into an ambush?  He let his eyes roam around the room as she closed the door behind him.  No one else was to be seen.

“Please, have a seat.”  She gestured to the sofa.  “I know why you’re here, so let’s not beat around the bush.  Yes, I am the real Wade Welles -- the one that originally slid with Quinn, Remmy, and the professor.  Did Remmy spill the beans to everyone, or just you?”

Colin sat down, her straight-forwardness surprising him even more.   He decided to handle things the same way.  “He told me first.  The man was so confused.  He was elated at having found you, yet, worried about your insistence that he not tell us.  It was just too much for him to keep that news from my brother -- and your sister.”

Wade felt a shiver go up her spine when he said ‘sister’.   “My sister -- she knows?”

“Yes.  Quinn knew something was going on and confronted Remmy.  He had to tell.  Maggie and Kelly were in the room.  I have to confess I do not understand your attitude.  After all you have been through, I would think you would be more than eager to be reunited with your friends . . . and especially, your sister.”

Wade closed her eyes.  She could feel the tears rising up from the pit of her soul. Determination not to cry set in.   In seconds, the feeling left like a receding tide.  The Kromaggs had taught her well.

“Why did you come here, Colin?  Why not Kelly . . . or Quinn?”  She asked the question to put him in the hot seat instead of her.  She wasn’t quite ready to talk yet.

“Considering your reaction to Remmy’s suggestion last night, we thought it best if an . . . outsider, so to speak, talked to you first.  Remmy’s description of your attitude last night was very clear.  You did not want Quinn and Kelly to know your true identity.  I came to find out why, if I may be so bold, and to try to persuade you to change your mind.”

She ignored his request for answers for the moment.  All in due time . . . maybe. Another question bubbled up.  “And how did my sister and Quinn take the news? Are they all right?”

“Of course, they were both shaken . . . and confused about your reactions.”

Colin hesitated.  He didn’t want to mention Quinn’s observance of her other visitor last night, at least not yet.  It would be better if she brought it up. But he had the distinct feeling she was purposely being very tight-lipped.  Every response he gave prompted another question from her.  She gave no answers to his questions at all.  Was this her decision, or his control?

“They want to see you, Wade, as you can well imagine.  Will you not reconsider your feelings on the matter?”  he continued.

Wade rose and went to the window.  Colin looked around, half-expecting Kryoptus to appear.  There was no one.  He went to stand beside her.  Close proximity might do more good.

She felt the heat of his nearness, and closed her eyes.  Visions of Quinn materialized.  They were so much alike . . . same height, same build, same hair, and the same haunting crystal blue eyes.  She was being smothered.  Why did he have to stand so close?

“Wade?”  His voice floated softly to her ears.  “Wade, please talk to me.  We can all work this out if we know what is going on.  You can trust me, Wade.  I want what is best for everyone.  I am on your side, as well as theirs.  Let me help.  Tell me your true thoughts.”

That voice -- it penetrated her wall of defense like a battering ram going through marshmallows.  She couldn’t just walk away from this and leave them wondering. Her thoughts would be told to this man, and then she would leave.  Kryoptus could take her away under the cloak of darkness.  At least they could slide without wondering. It was the least she could do for them.

Original URL http://www.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/1095/???? (purged)
Nominated by DieselMickeyDolenz

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext