Until We Meet Again (17)

Date: ??/??/2001
From: SouthernSlider


Remmy and Quinn paced around the room like caged tigers.  Kelly sat on the sofa wringing her hands, teary-eyed.  Maggie seemed to be the only one taking all of this in stride, yet she felt herself in an agitated state just watching the others.  She wondered if anything she said would ease their minds.

“It’s going to be all right, guys.  Colin will come through that door any minute with Wade on his arm,” she said with calm.  Remmy stopped in mid-step.  He was in no mood to be patronized.

“How can you be so sure?  Farm-boy may have had the upper hand on ‘western world’ with Kolitar, by having a gun, but this may be out of his league. Bullets can leave a more lasting impression than words.  How do you know we didn’t send him into the lion’s den to be gobbled up by a whole hoard of those Kromaggots?”

“We have to think positive, Remmy,”  Quinn said.  “I saw only one Kromagg last night.  My brother will handle things.”

Kelly wasn’t so sure.  She jumped up to join in the conversation.  “I think we should go over there now and surprise them.  I can’t stand this waiting.  I want to see my sister; and I want to know that Colin is all right.  Two people that I love most in the world are over there, and in very possible danger.  The four of us should be able to do something.”

“I say we wait and see if our original plan works.”  Maggie said.  “Talking takes time.  And Colin hasn’t had enough, yet.”

“And this coming from a soldier,”  Remmy huffed.  “I thought all military goons wanted to fight and take names later.  What’s with the pacifist attitude of yours?”

“Goon?   You’re calling me a goon?”  Maggie said with shock.  “I’ll show you ‘fight and take names later’.”  She headed straight for the man, fists balled up.  Quinn stepped in immediately.

“Don’t take it personally Maggie,”  he said as he held her shoulders.  He thought he saw smoke drifting from her ears.  “He’s worried, just like Kelly . . . just like all of us. Calm down.”

“And why are you so calm?”  Remmy then turned on Quinn.  “Last night you came in here all fired up, ready to take me out.  What’s with this ‘wait and see’ attitude you’re carrying now?”

Quinn sighed.  “I want Wade back more than anything, Remmy.  I want her enough not to go in hell-bent for leather, and maybe get her hurt . . . or one of us.  You have to know your enemy, right Maggie?”  He looked her in the eye, still holding her shoulders.  “We have to know more than we know now.  We have to wait and give Colin a chance.  If he doesn’t come back in a respectable amount of time, then we move.  If we plow into that place now, we may get both of them hurt . . . or killed.”

A collective sigh went out all over the room. They all knew Quinn was right, but it didn’t take the pain and uneasiness away.  Anything could be happening right now at Wade’s -- a million other things besides calm talking.

***

“I’m not alone here, Colin,”  Wade said as she returned to the sofa.

He wondered if he should tell her he knew about the Kromagg.  Was he in the next room listening to everything?  No, Colin didn’t think so.  That wouldn’t be his style from what he could remember of him on that other world.  He wouldn’t have the patience to sit in the shadows and listen.

“A Kromagg named Kryoptus brought me here.  It is my understanding that you have encountered him before,”  she continued.

She surmised quickly that Colin knew about Kryoptus’s presence without her having to tell him.  He didn’t seem surprised at all.  But then, he was a pretty level-headed guy.  That was one difference in him and his brother.  Quinn was always on the edge, always very excitable.  Colin took everything she said in stride. Nothing appeared to ruffle his feathers.

“Yes, Wade.  I do know of him, and I know he is on this world.  Is he here with us now?”

“No, not in person.  How did you know?

“My brother saw him last night.  Is he the reason you did not want us to know your true identity?”

“Not really.”  She stood again, her stomach churning inside her.  “He saved my life, Colin.  He is a good man.”

Although she didn’t see it, Colin did show surprise at that statement, then wondered if it were really her thoughts, or if the Kromaggs were controlling her.  Were they watching this whole scenario, just waiting for the others to show up, then take them all?  She had to be brainwashed, or saying it against her will.

“He’s a Kromagg, Wade.”

“Humagg, Colin,” she corrected.  “Half human, and becoming more human all the time.”

“He certainly did not display that human side when we encountered him before. He killed a Humagg woman, Wade, just because she did show her human side and helped us.  He killed the woman who loved him.”

“I know.  He told me all about it.”

“He did?  I am surprised.”

“I’m sure there is a lot about him that would surprise you,”  she answered. “He became devastated over time about Kyra’s death.  That’s what led him to me.”

“I do not understand.”

Wade sat back on the sofa, and for the first time, felt more at ease in Colin’s presence.  He had an aura about him, a calming effect, if she would just give in to it.  As the story poured from her heart, her resistance melted away.  Colin gave her his undivided attention, mesmerizing her with those familiar blue eyes.

She began to relate the history of Kryoptus’s emergence as more human and how they came to be acquainted.  She knew the whole story was going to come out. How would he take it?  How would the others feel?  Would she have the courage to stick around and find out?  One dilemma at a time, Wade, one dilemma at a time.   She took a deep breath and revealed it all.

 

Original URL http://www.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/1095/???? (purged)
Nominated by DieselMickeyDolenz

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext