Until We Meet Again (20)

Date: ??/??/2001
From: SouthernSlider

Quinn and Remmy led the group down the street toward Wade’s apartment.  If Colin had his way, Kelly would have been left behind, but he knew that wasn’t going to be an option.  He didn’t even make the suggestion aloud.  Kelly would have vetoed it before he even finished the thought.  He just hoped he could protect her if they found trouble.  He wrapped his arm around her as they walked.

He second-guessed their decision as they moved silently along, but he said nothing.  He feared the element of surprise wouldn’t be enough.  What if there were more Kromaggs?  What if Wade’s story was just that -- a story to lure them all into a trap?  Had he been duped?

As they came upon the Sassy Brass, the thought crossed his mind on whether or not Wade would even be singing there tonight.  Suddenly the door swung open. Tony, the guitarist in the band, plowed over them.

“Sorry, man.  I just . . . wait a minute.”  He glared at Remmy.  “You’re the one who’s been in here every night lately, watching Wade.  Are you the reason she quit?”  He pointed a finger in Remmy’s face as fire flashed in his eyes.

Remmy faced him with defiance.  “What do you mean, ‘she quit’?

Quinn’s heart slammed against his chest.  Remmy said he caught her show last night.  If she quit, it had to be today.   The foreboding thought went through him like a knife.  Before he knew what he was doing, he grabbed a fistful of Tony’s shirt.

“When did she quit?  Was it today?”

Everyone’s eyes widened at Quinn’s sudden aggressive move, Tony’s the most. He was a musician, not a fighter.  He was upset at losing his songbird, especially since she was the one he thought himself in love with, but he didn’t want a confrontation with this group.  The odds were definitely against him.

“Wait a minute, buddy.  I . . .”

“Tell me!  Did she talk to you today?”  Quinn growled.  He didn’t have time to play nice.  He needed answers pronto.

“Yeah.  Less than an hour ago.”  Quinn released the material of his shirt with a jerk.  “She called and said she was sorry, but she had to move on.  Said she hated to do it this way, but she just didn’t have the time to come by and tell me in person.  I tried to talk her out of it, but she would have none of it.  I don’t want to lose that girl.”

“Neither do we,”  Remmy said.  “Q-ball, are you thinking what I’m thinking.”

“I’m afraid so, Remmy.  For whatever reason, I think we’re about to lose her again.”

“Again?”  Tony looked puzzled.  “You guys know her already?”

“Yeah, for a very long time,”  Remmy answered.

“She’s my sister.”  Kelly sounded panicked as she stepped in front of Tony. “Do you know anything else.  Did she say where she was going?”

“No, she didn’t.  She just . . .”

Colin interrupted.  “Think, mister.  Did she give you any clue at all.  Her life could depend on it.”

“Her life?  What is going on here?  I just thought she got another job, or something, or maybe she was hooking up with you guys.  Is Wade in some sort of trouble?”

“You could say that,”  Quinn answered.

“The worst kind,”  Remmy mumbled right behind him.

“Come on.  We don’t have time to chit-chat.  She may still be at her place.” Quinn whirled around and took off in the direction of Wade’s apartment.  The others followed quickly, including Tony.

“Guys, wait.”  Tony stopped suddenly as they approached the building.  “Look. Over there.”  He pointed across the street to the park.  “That looks like Wade headed over the rise.  The short one with that tall guy.”

Collectively, they saw the couple in question.  Colin knew without a doubt it was her.  She was wearing the same black leather slacks and shiny blue blouse she had on this morning.  Quinn knew it was her on instinct.  And the guy with her was Kryoptus.

“That dirty Kromagg bastard is dragging her away!”  Remmy yelled.   He took off across the street before the others could stop him.

A car slammed on its brakes and blew the horn as Remmy darted to the other side. Foul language was heard as the others crossed in front of the irate driver, too. They ignored him and his screeching tires as he took off again when the coast had cleared.

Remmy reached the pair well ahead of the others.  He had nothing on his mind as he rammed into Kryoptus’s back with his head, except to get his Wade out of the guy’s clutches.  Kryoptus went down with a thud.  Wade shrieked with surprise.

“You dirty son of . . . .  I’ll kill you for what you’ve done.  You can’t have her.” He ranted and raved, and pummeled Kryoptus with his fists; all the while, Wade screaming for him to stop.  Kryoptus made a futile attempt to fight back once the shock of the attack dissipated, but he was almost helpless.  The man was all over him; the rage was more than Kryoptus could contend with.

As the others approached, Quinn noticed that there were no other Kromaggs to be seen.  He scanned the area before his eyes fell upon Wade.  She was terrified, and he didn’t think it was because of Kryoptus.  Her fear was for him.  She looked up as he was staring, and the fear seemed to escalate.  Surely, she didn’t think he was going to hurt her. Those Kromagg bastards must have really done a number on her.

The fight faded in the background for Quinn.  All he could think of was getting to Wade, and holding her in his arms, assuring her that life was going to be all right.  But when he took a step toward her, she turned and ran like the wind.

He started for her, but didn’t realize he was so close to the others.  The two warring bodies slammed into him as they rolled around on the grass, knocking his feet from under him.  Kryoptus grabbed at him, trying to get away from the madman that was landing blows right and left to his face.  Quinn watched on his stomach as Wade faded into the distance, then disappeared around the bend.

Original URL http://www.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/1095/???? (purged)
Nominated by DieselMickeyDolenz

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext