Sliding Leap Fanfic...Part 22

Date: 11/26/2001
From: ScifiSTP


December 12th 1997

Sam awoke to the sun on the eastern horizon. The professor was still asleep and was snoring a bit. Michael was still behind the wheel, driving into the dawn. Sam rubbed his eyes and tried to stretch. It was hard because he was inside the car. Oh well, he thought. He leaned forward.

“So, how’s everything going up here?” Sam asked the driver. He had talked to him a bit before when they stopped for gas. He found out everything that had happened to the project through Michael. Michael yawned and squinted his eyes at the morning light.

“Ok.” Michael began.” It looks like we should reach the project in a few hours.” Sam could see how tired he was. He had been driving all afternoon and all night. He looked over at the professor, he was still sound asleep. He rubbed his eyes again and then leaned forward again to talk to Michael.

“You look a bit worn.” Sam observed.

“Oh,” he began and then paused to yawn.” It’s the least I can do.” Michael responded. He didn’t want to admit it, but he was about to fall asleep at the wheel. He meant what he said though. If he had to drive all day and night with no rest just to get the Sam he knew back home, it was well worth it.

“Listen, I understand why you are doing this, and I thank you.” Sam paused.” He thanks you.” He continued, referring to the Sam of this dimension.” But I know you are about to fall asleep, let me take the wheel for awhile so you can get some rest.” Sam told him.

“No, I can make it.” Michael answered. He felt it was his duty. If he was going to get in trouble for being a part of this, he might as well be doing something worthwhile for that cause.

“You won’t do us much good if you are dead tired when we get to the project. The least I can do is help finish the drive there.” Sam disputed. Michael thought a moment. He was right. He couldn’t do his job securing the project if he was asleep on the job. With that he pulled over to the side of the road. The stop of the car and that of the familiar hum of the road awoke the professor from his sleep. Sam and Michael got out of the car to stretch. The dawn looked so beautiful out here. Sam missed this so much. Before leaping, he always tried to get topside to see the dawn. It was so peaceful for him. He’d even take a jog in the morning air. He missed all that. No time for a jog today, they were in a rush to get to the project and with Logan at their heels, they had no time to waste it. Sam and Michael looked back as they heard the back door of the car shut. It was the professor.

“So, taking a little morning stretch are we?” the professor humorously asked the two. They smiled and walked over toward him.

“Just switching drivers.” Sam said to him in response to the comment. He then looked back toward the dawn. He may not have been home, but this was close, Sam thought to himself. Michael too was looking at the dawn. He never saw it much from out here when he worked at the project. He was always working the late night into the morning. The three of them stood there, wondering what the end of this day would turn up like. For Michael, it was wondering if that by this time tomorrow, he’d be talking a morning jog with the Sam he knew. He hoped that they would catch up on old times. He didn’t think much or worry about the consequences of the actions they were now taking. What ever they were, it would be worth it. For Sam it was wondering if he would do what he was meant to do on this leap. Maybe something like this would reward him in getting to go home. He also wondered if he and Quinn would switch places in time. The professor had the same concern. He hoped that be days end he would be back with his student, maybe not on their home world, but at least together, the four of them.

They stood there in silence for a few more minutes, not saying a word. Finally, one of them spoke. “Lets hit the road gentlemen.” The professor said. With that they all got back on the car. The professor sat up front with Sam. They decided to give Michael room to stretch. Sam started up the car. He got more anxious the closer they got to the project. They pulled back onto the road, the road to an uncertain future for them all.

Keep 'em coming! Don't stp! |n/t|

Date: 11/28/2001
From: Blinker


[sic] 7:-D

Original URL http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/545/27043
Nominated by sliderules

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext