Sliding Leap Fanfic...Part 5

Date: 08/20/2001
From: ScifiSTP


December 11th, 1997

"What?" the man asked, now know as Al to the others. Sam didn't know what to say. He looked at the others, they had blank looks on thier faces, as well as Al. "What did you say your name was?" Al asked. All eyes were on Sam now. He was frozen and didn't know what to say or do.

"Oh boy." He answered. Everyone around him was majorly confused and wanted answers. Sam wished he could stop time and take a break from all of this, but he couldn't. He had to deal with it. He looked at everyone and figured they needed an explanation."This is going to take awhile." he told the group." I think we all need to sit down." They all walked over to the nearest table and sat down, Sam being the last one. He slowly eased into his chair as he baegan to explain."As you all know now, I am not who I appear to be." He looked over at the group of three friends, all staring at him." Your friend, Quinn, is in a project waiting room in the future."

"Sam." Al started but was cut off by Sam.

"Al, I need for them to know, its my only way of getting back. I'll explain." Al scooted back into his chair but was still tense." My name is Dr. Sam Beckett. In the early 1990's we started a time travel project. I'll go into the theories later, but for now you'll get the quick version." He said, mainly directing the comment towards the professor."Anyways, I prematurely stepped into the time travel excelorator and leaped into the past. Not only into the past, but into a person in the past, living thier identity. Meanwhile, that person leaped into me at the project and assumes the identity of me. Al here is the project observer and is my only link to my present time. I leap from life to life, changing things for the better, not knowing when or where I will leap next." The others were amazed at the similarities of Sam's life and thier own. They were hanging on to every word." So, before you slided, i leaped into Quinn. When I slided, I think my link to the project and your Quinn was broken. With your help I think we can find a way to get Quinn back with you guys, and me back to my dimention." Sam finished. They all were silent, not knowing what words would fit the situation.

"Absolutely amazing." The professor said. Not only was dimentional travel possible , but so was time travel. He couldn't believe it."All I can say is Quinn is probably having the time of his life."

"I find that partially untrue." Sam began." See, though I am amazed at the whole concept of interdimentional travel, I am fearful."

"Fearful of what?" the professor jumped in, wanting to know what Sam was getting at.

"Well, with me losing contact with the project on my earth, I may have lost total contact." Al knew what Sam was getting at. Sam continued." I am unsure if leaping across dimentions is possible." The professor saw the problem. This was a huge problem they all had to face.

"So," the professor began,"you can't control when or where you leap?"

"No, mainly I dont leap until I right the wrong I was put there to change." Sam answered."Right now I con't figure out what wrong I am here to right."

" I might have an idea." Al spoke up. The group turned thier attention towards him. Sam's eyebrows raised the most."Here, there is a huge energy crisis." Al started, everyone hanging on his every word." A little over a year ago, the government, in an effort to help out our growing energy problems, was forced to shut down Project Quantum Leap. We tried to keep funding going but we could never prove that Dr. Beckett was leaping in time. They shut down the project and we lost our link with Sam. He still leaps around, but we don't know when or where."

"What about the person that leaps into me? I guess he keeps changing personalities as I keep leaping around. Do you know where I am?" Sam asked, Al was confused. He didn't know the concept of sliding or the idea of doubles.

"You see Al." The professor started to give Al a crash course on sliding." We are interdimentional travlers,the three of us, plus one other,the person Sam appears to be.Well, before we came to this dimention, Sam leaped into our friend Quinn. He then went with us and came to this dimention, cutting his link with the project in his dimention. Is that right , Sam?" Sam nodded." So you see, this Sam,who looks like Quinn, is not the Sam from your dimention. So when he speaks of himself, he means his double, the Sam of your dimention."Al's head was pounding, he had an idea of what they were saying, but it was confusing.

"So,"Al started," you want to know where your double's body is at?" Sam nodded." Well, for awhile we all stayed at the project and kept containment of him.After a few months we were forced out and they took, your double's body, away. Since then Iv'e been given a dishonorable discharge from service and wandering the country looking for odd jobs." Sam coudn't believe his ears. On this dimention the project was stopped and he, his double, was left hurling through space and time with no help. The others were just amazed by the concept of time travel, but the bad situation at hand still was embedded into thier minds. It would be until they had Quinn back that they could breath easily. Hopefully it would be before they slided, which was in less than thirty hours. Sam then stood up.

"Well," he looked at the professor, because he was holding the timer," how long do we have here?" Sam asked.The professor looked down at the timer." Less than thirty hours." he answered. Sam thought then spoke up.

"In the next thirty hours I'm going to do the best I can to get the project started back up again, and get my double back home."Al then stood up. Al knew that if anyone could pull it off it was Sam. Sam was determined. If he coudn't get home, he would try to get his alternate home. The others then stood up.

"Count us in." Wade said. They figured that Quinn was at stake too. If thier only way of getting him back was by getting the project back online, then they would do it.

"Alright." Sam said. " But remember, we're working against the clock."

TO BE CONTINUED...........

Hope you're enjoying the story..any comments , questions or observations are welcome. Find out what happens next on Thursday.

ScifiSTP

Keep it comin'

Date: 08/20/2001
From: SpaceTime


One thing: it's "slid," not "slided."

It's a promising story. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Peace,
ST

Original URL http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/545/26560
Nominated by sliderules

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext