Sliding Leap Fanfic...Part 9

Date: 09/03/2001
From: ScifiSTP


May 15th, 1999

"And this is Gooshie."Al said to Quinn."He is the head engineer and knows Ziggy almost as well as Sam." Al finished.

"Hello, nice to meet you Mr. Mallory."Gooshie said as he moved his clipboard to his other hand in order to shake Quinn's. Quinn's eyes watered immediately. God this guy had bad breath. Al wasn't joking, and this was the man he'd be working with. He needed a nose plug. He tried to not think too much of it and continued the introduction.

"Same to you Gooshie."Quinn said nicely.He was ready to get to work.Based on the technology they had here he had an idea of how they could get in contact with Sam."Well let's get to work."He said.

"Ah, yes."Gooshie joined in."We have alot ahead of us and we must work fast."Al then motioned to the two of them and left.

"I have an idea that just might work on contacting Dr. Beckett."Quinn said.

"Oh, what do you have in mind?" Gooshie asked.

"Well, do you have alot of scrap electronic parts and microchips around here?"Quinn asked.

"Yes,why?" Gooshie quickly answered.

"Well,if I may have permission, I would like to put them to use."Quinn said."Is there any input output pannel of some sorts to Ziggy?"Quinn asked.Gooshie was wondering what Quinn was up to.

"Yes, through the data access door in the hallway.I don't follow what you're getting at."Gooshie said.

"Well, I think that the reason Ziggy cannot find Dr.Beckett is because she's not able to check the right dimention."Gooshie listened more, he started to figure what Quinn might be suggesting."See, if I could build another sliding machine that would then be connected with Ziggy,It might enable her to kind of scan the dimentional cosmos."Gooshie was astonished at Quinn's intelect.Gooshie still didn't know all of the workings of sliding and the timer, but he had a faint idea of how this could work."You see, awhile back I was on a world where we had a run in with a double of mine.She.."

"She?"Gooshie asked. This was confusing him. How could his double be a she?

"It's a long story. Anyways, she and the institution she worked for was working on sliding technology.They had problems with the vortex but they had the ability to track wormholes. I think that with Ziggy's mass intelegence and ability, she would be able to get a lock on Sam and at least be able to have contact with him."Quinn finished.

Gooshie was impressed."Astonishing,but.."

"But what?"Quinn asked.

"Well, Dr. Beckett has to right a wrong in order to leap.Also, the way Ziggy projects what is to be changed is based on the history of events. Even though Ziggy may be able to get a lock on Sam, she won't be able to project what has to be changed because she has no prerecorded data of that dimention."Gooshie finished explaining.

"Oh boy."Quinn replied."Well at least we would be able to get a lock on Sam."That was the least they could do right now.Even that would make them happy because even though they had to slide, they would be able to track them down.

"One thing Quinn."Gooshie was curious."How would we be able to track wormholes? We aren't physically in the past when we have a lock on him. So we wouldnt be able to detect the wormhole."Gooshie had a good point.

"True, but I know what year I was in.All Ziggy has to do is search the dimentions around the time that I was there. Also, I can project within a 400 mile radius as to where they could be.This would make the search alot faster."Quinn finished.

"How do you know they will be in this area?" Gooshie asked.

"Well, to make a long story short, we are limited to within a 400 mile radius from Los Angeles.We only slide within that area."Quinn revealed to Gooshie.This could possible work, but Gooshie knew this would take some time.

As they were discussing this two more project engineers came to the area where Quinn and Gooshie were working. Quinn was jotting down some notes when they arrived.Gooshie looked up."Ahh, you're finally here.Did Al fill you in on the details?"Gooshie asked.

"Yes." they both said.

"Quinn this is Jack Carter and.." Quinn started to look up during the introduction when he noticed the other gentleman before him.

"Bennish!?"Quinn said loudly, suprised to see him standing before him. Conrad Bennish.Quinn couldn't believe it. He wondered if he knew who he actually was."Bennish, how's it going?It's me Quinn Mallory.Well I know I don't look like me, but you know why."Quinn still noticed that for some reason, Bennish acted like Quinn's name didn't ring a bell. Finally, Bennish spoke up.

"Do I know you?" He asked.

"Yeah, Quinn Mallory. We were in college together at California University in San Francisco."Bennish got an even more puzzled look on his face."Remember, Professor Arturo's class?"Still nothing.

"I never went to CALU. I could have but i got a better offer from MIT and I took it. Plus Iv'e never known a Quinn Mallory."Bennish explained.Dead end. Obviously on this world they never met. Quinn wondered if since they didn't know eachother, if Bennish ever thought about the concepts of other dimentions.

"Oh."Quinn said in disappointment. He then turned to Jack who was being neglected. Quinn shook his hand .He then turned his attention back to Bennish.

"Well, Bennish, you see in the dimention I am from originally, we went to the same college in San Francisco. We even discussed theories that let to interdimentional gateways and such."Bennish was still overcome by all of this. he had thoughts about such things in college but didn't think much on them and dismissed them. This was amazing, he thought. It is possible to travel into different dimentions.

"Cool."he said in response, not able to come up with the right words.

"Um, well."Gooshie started to interupt.Quinn and Bennish came out of thier thoughts. They needed to get down to business and get a link with Sam established.

"Yes, let's get to work ."Jack said. They all agreed. They then all followed Gooshie to get the parts so that Quinn could start building the sliding machine.

TO BE CONTINUED................

Intersting turn of events?Huh? Well, there is much more to come,very unexpected. Hope you're all liking the story and comments and questions are always welcome.See you all on Tuesday.

ScifiSTP

Original URL http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/545/26657
Nominated by sliderules

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext