Sliding Leap Fanfic...Part 10

Date: 09/06/2001
From: ScifiSTP


December 11th, 1997

"Ok," Al said as he headed towards the table. It had been about fourty five minutes, but he finally got all of the calls made.

"Did you do it?" Sam asked.It seemed like he did because of the mood he was in.

"Yes."Al began."I found out where your alternate is being held. He's at a military base about two hours outside of Las Vegas. He's under tight security but we have an inside man. Lt. Stillman is his name.He worked on project Star Bright.Anyway, we don't have to go all the way to the base, he said we could meet in Vegas."Sam rolled his eyes. He figured that was Al's idea.Al continued."Luckily I was able to get four engineers from the project including Gooshie. He can't believe what's going on.I also was able to get some ex-military people for security and in case we get discovered by the government."Everyone was listening closely."As far as transportation, one of the men is about an hour or so from here.There is another guy about a half an hour from here.Once those two get here we have the vehicles to split off into our groups."The professor,Wade and Rembrandt felt consumed by all of this,but it had to be done.They prayed that this would work.

Again, all they could do was wait until the two men arrived to the small town they were in.It seemed to the three of them that it was all they did, but soon they'd be contributing to the cause. Sam and Al were discussing at the bar while the others sat around the table.

"I'm wondering."Remmy finally spoke up."I'm wondering if we will ever see Quinn again."The same thing was on all of thier minds."To think that we won't have Q-ball around.If this doesn't work,Sam will stay here and won't slide with us."

"What makes you think that?"Wade asked.

"Oh come on, look at him.He may not look like himself or be on his dimention,but compared to his usual life, he's as home as he's gunna get."This made everyone think. Remmy was right.Sam seemed so overjoyed here. It was strange to think of just the three of them sliding.Being without the person who put them here would leave a void.Everyone of them brought a certain reliable quality to the group.To have one of them amputated would throw everything off.It wouldn't feel right.The professor looked at the timer.They had a little more than 28 hours left.In 28 hours thier sliding experience might be changed forever.

"Well, we have to keep the faith."Wade said."I believe that this can work.I also believe that where ever Quinn is he's not just sitting there.He's got to be trying to figure a way out of this mess too."Wade finished.She didn't want to face the fact that she might not ever talk to Quinn again.She had kept so much inside and for her to not even get to say goodbye would be something she couldn't live with.

"It's faith I have."Rembrandt responded."Other than you guys,faith is all I can rely on since I started sliding.It's my only link to the life I once knew." They all felt that by helping Sam they were helping out thier own situation with Quinn. The professor just sat back silently. He didn't know what to say. When it came to the technical aspects of sliding and problems brought apon them from it,they turned to him and Quinn.If Quinn were gone,they would have only him to turn to. He was worried about that pressure, but didn't want to reveal it to the two of them.

Sam and Al came walking back over.Sam wanted to talk to the professor about the details of the project so that when they got there,they could start on reworking the retreval program."Can I talk with you?" Sam asked the professor.

"Sure."He said as he got up.Wade and Remmy just sat there in thier thoughts, not noticing that Al had sat down at the table.The professor walked up with Sam to talk at the bar.

"So, quite a jam we're in, huh?"Al said, trying to ease the tension."We really appreciate the help you guys are giving us. We wouldn't be able to do it without you.Heck, had you guys not even slid here, I wouldn't have had the chance of getting Sam back."Al didn't seem to get much of a response out of them.

"Well, there has to be a reason for all of this."Rembrandt said."Our lives seem to be under the control of something we are unaware of.We all seem to playing on a roulette whell, not knowing where we'll end up next. I believe there is a reason Sam goes where he goes. Q-ball and the professor say I was was accidentally brought along because of thier increase of power to the timer.But I believe that some force or fate caused me to be at that exact place at that exact time.I used to resent Quinn for bringing me along.Yes, I miss my family and friends, but sliding has made me realize who I am by all of these experiences.So I believe that there is a purpose for us showing up here and now. And I believe that because of that purpose,Quinn will return."Remmy finished and Wade smiled, almost a tear in her eye.She felt the same way about sliding.

TO BE CONTINUED............

.Hope you are enjoying the story and any comments or questions are welcome.
See you all on Monday.

Keep 'em comin'. (end)

Date: 09/07/2001
From: IamBoris2001


:)

Original URL http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/545/26680
Nominated by sliderules

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext