Sliding Leap Fanfic...Part 18

Date: 10/25/2001
From: ScifiSTP


Oh boy." Sam said. It was strange but like Quinn had said, it was perfectly possible. This leap was getting stranger by the moment. It was very important to tell the others. Then Sam had a bad feeling. "You said you saw her on a cell phone?" Sam asked Al.

"Yes, she was talking for a few minutes." Al answered."Why?"
Sam's fear was most likely right.

"And this was right before you two came here to where I am?"Sam asked, even though he already knew the answer. With that, he knew that he hadn't been talking on the phone with Wade. Worst of all, Logan now knew the location of the project. Who knows what she'd do when she showed up. Security wasn't going to be as tight and there might be a chance that she could slip through.

"Yes, what are you...Noo." Al said as he finally realized. This leap was getting tougher by the moment.

"Yup." Sam said. "She knows where the project is. Chances are the others are ahead of her. The only thing I don't get is what was she doing there with the other car. We have to talk to the other group." Sam said. Then he realized that they couldn't. They no longer had the phone and there was no one in the car that Quinn and Al could talk with. They'd have no idea of Logan."But we can't. Because they don't have the phone."

"Wrong." Quinn began."Al, the Al from this dimention, can see your Al, the hologram. See no matter what dimention you come from, you ..."

"Have the same brainwaves. Man why didn't I think of that?" Sam finished."Wow, you amaze me. Too bad you can't work on the project full time." Sam said. Well, enough small talk. Quinn and Al had to get to the others.

"Ok, we'll get the message to the others and get back to you later Sam." Al told his buddy. With that he pressed some buttons and had Gooshie center them on the oher Al.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wade and Remmy sat in back as they headed out of Vegas. They were glad to be out of the clutches of Logan, but something in them told them that they hadn't seen the last of her. Maybe she would catch up to them on this slide, or another. The thing was, they had to be on guard. They had filled Al and the others in more about Logan and what went on with their last encounter with her.

"Of all the times she could have cought up to us, it had to be now." Wade said as she broke the silence since they left Logan behind. They were leaving the outskirts of Las Vegas and headed toward Hoover Dam.

"This is just all too strange for me." Al said. Quinn having a female double was the weirdest thing he ever heard of. "I just can't wait until we get to the project. Which reminds me, Chris, call the others and warn them about Logan." With that Chris reached into his pocket, then another. He then searched the glove compartment.

"Do any of you have the phone?" Chris asked the others. Even though they knew they didn't, the looked anyway. All of them searched the van when finally it hit Chris."Damn, I left it under the seat in the car." Worst of all, they left the car where they left Logan. They only hoped that she wouldn't find it.

"Well, we'll have to stop at a payphone and call the others. Damn, I left the map in the car too." Al said as he finally realized."If she found either one of those, we are in big trouble."

"It doesn't matter if she found the phone, she can't use it. She doesn't know the key pad code." Chris mentioned.

"Unless someone calls the phone, she can answer it." Al noted. All they knew is that they most likely hadn't seen the last of Logan.

They sat their silently as they drove down the road until they found a payphone at a gas station or something. Remmy couldn't believe all that was going on. Quinn was trapped in a different dimention in a different time as a different person. The person that the Sam of this dimention had leapt into was Michael Mallory, Quinn's father. God only knew when he had leapt into him and when he would leap out. Then, ad Logan on top of all of this. He hoped the next slide would be more relaxing. He would just rest his head against the window and wait until they stopped to call.

As they passed billboard after billboard it was quite funny to Remmy. Most of the performers that were in Vegas he had never heard of. After this huge energy crisis that Al had told them about, they still had enough power to light up Las Vegas. Every billboard had an advertisement with a different performer. The Billboards read "Come back and see us again." They were almost funny. Remmy had asked Al why, after this energy crisis, that they would shut down the project but not cut down on the glitz and glamour of Vegas. He told them that the government figured that Las vegas brought in more money for the economy than the project. It all sounded too rediculous. Just like the billboards. He looked over at Wade, she was just about sleeping. He felt tired himself. Maybe he should shut his eyes for awhile, he thought. He closed his eyes and hoped to drift off into a nice sleep. Maybe he'd have one of his favorite dreams, the one of them all returning home.

"Oh my." Remmy heard as he was slowly drifting away to sleep. It was Al's voice. "Take a look at this." He said, but it didn't quite wake Rembrandt up. Al reached back and gave Remmy a little nudge. "Hey, wake up."Al told him as he tried waking him up.Remmy finally opened his eyes.

"Man, I just was starting to get a nice sleep." Remmy said as he started to sit up. "What is it Al?" he asked. He was just about to enjoy a nice nap.

"You might want to look at this." Al said as he pointed out the van. Remmy looked out and couldn't believe what he saw.He found himself looking at, well, himself. There was his big smiling face on one of those rediculous billboards. It seems he was one of the Vegas performers. According to the billboard he could be seen at the MGM Grand, nightly at 8 pm. They passed the billboard and then the questions came.

"Why didn't you tell me about this?" Remmy asked Al and the others from this dimention. He couldn't believe all of this time, and they never mentioned that he was a big performer in this dimention.

"Well, we figured it would distract you on our mission." Al said to Remmy.

"Distract me? How?" Remmy asked.

"Well, we figured since we were going to Vegas, if you knew, you would want to go see yourself perform." Al said to Remmy. It was a strange thing to think of, but they didn't want to take any chances of getting the mission off track.

"That's rediculous."Remmy said in protest."I know what's on the line. I would never jeopardize this mission. Unless you forgot, I have a friend that's caught up in this mess as well." Remmy continued. Ok, maybe he wanted to see hi perform a litle bit, but not to where it would mess up the mission. Oh well, no need to get all angry about it.

"It's just that we didn't know if you were like your double." Al stated. Remmy listened to see what Al was getting at. "You see, he isn't known for his kindness and he is very selfish." Al told him.

"How do you know?" Remmy asked.

"Because I worked for him." Al said." I worked as a stage hand for the show he puts on. He was a nozzel. He only cared about himself. So, one day I had enough of him and went off on him. The other's felt the same way but they didn't want to back me up and lose their jobs. So, I got fired." Al finished. Remmy had no idea. Maybe that's why Al hadn't talked to him too much on this trip.

"I'm sorry he treated all of you that way. I'll tell you, though, I am nothing like that." Remmy informed Al." I care about my friend's deeply and those in need. You won't have to worry about me letting you down. We will all help you until you get Sam back." Al felt bad himself, but he was new to all of this doubles thing. He figured that everyone was the same no matter which dimention they came from.

"I'm sorry for doubting you." Al relplied. With all of the talking Wade finally awoke.

"What's going on?" She asked as she opened her eyes.

"Here we are. Looks like they have a phone." Chris cut in. They all looked and saw a gas station. It was advertised as the last one in Nevada.

"I'll tell you in a moment." Remmy said as they pulled into the station.

TO BE CONTINUED......

Original URL http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/545/26892
Nominated by sliderules

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext