Sliding Leap Fanfic...Part 24

Date: 12/10/2001
From: ScifiSTP


They all walked around corners through the darkness. It was very eerie and their footsteps echoed in the silence of the project. The professor could see many hi-tech equipment throughout the complex that lay dormant. He couldn’t wait until they turned them back on and could see what they did. For Sam, walking through these halls was very strange. It seemed like it had been a long time since he had been at the project.

They finally reached the level they needed to be on and reached the backup generator. Sam was glad that his double had planned the project like he did. The government didn’t even know about this generator. From what Al fro this dimension had told them, much of the equipment had been bugged so that if someone had broken into the project and turned them on, they would be alerted. Sam had been thinking about ways to get around these bugs. Al had also informed Sam about a frequency disrupter that one of the scientists at the project had been working on in order to screw up the bugs and run the project without alerting the government. They were never able to test them long enough to see which frequency worked. This was another problem they had to work out. Al told Sam where the equipment was stored so that they could continue working on them.

Sam started searching around with his flashlight to find the generator switch. Since the government knew nothing about the generator, it wasn’t bugged. He found the switch and slowly the fluorescent lights hummed to life. It took awhile but the lights finally came on and they could move on to step two. Quickly they went back up two levels into the scientist’s quarters so that Sam and the professor could work on the frequency disruptors.

An hour or so later the second group arrived. The first group was startled at first by the noise made by them, but everything was set on track as they prepared the project. Wade and Remmy went to talk with Sam’s double in the waiting room. They had no idea when in time Sam had leaped into Michael Mallory and why, but with their help, they might be able to figure things out. Al joined them as well. He was used to talking to the people in the waiting room.

“So this is the project I was told about.” Quinn’s father said. He had switched places with Sam five days ago and had been disoriented ever since. Much of his past was a blur and he wasn’t given much information as to the specifics of what was going on.

“Yes.” Al told him.” What we haven’t been able to tell you is why Dr. Beckett leaped into you.” Al began. It was strange for him not to have his hand link during such questioning.” I know that you can’t remember a lot, but do you have an idea what the date was when when you and Dr. Beckett switched places?” Mr. Mallory sat there thinking. He had an idea what year it was, but the date was a blur. This would be much easier if Ziggy was back online and knew where and when Sam was.

“The year is,” he thought for a moment.” It’s 1994. September I think. I can’t recall the date though.” Wade and Remmy looked at each other. Obviously on his world he hadn’t died in an accident like Quinn’s father had. It seemed to them that Sam had leaped into Mr. Mallory around the time of the first slide. Al noticed that Wade and Rembrandt had an idea what was going on.

“You two have an idea?” Al asked them. They looked at each other again and finally Wade spoke up.

“ Well,” she began,” It seems like Sam has leaped into the time that Quinn and us originally slid. Maybe he is there to prevent the Quinn from sliding or remind him how to get back home properly. Quinn was never able to be told about how not to leave a world before the time is up.” Wade finished. They stood there thinking things through. To Al, it seemed correct, but without Ziggy, they wouldn’t know for sure if Quinn on this world slid. They just hoped Sam and the professor could get things going quicker and get the facts.

Original URL http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/545/27116
Nominated by sliderules

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext