Sliding Leap Fanfic...Part 26

Date: 12/25/2001
From: ScifiSTP


As they walked down several passages she instructed him in what to do. “ Walk closely and don’t talk to anyone.” She said. “If anyone asks, I’m a scientist who got in late and I’m here to help with the sliding technology.” She added. They passed a few people but no one noticed anything suspicious. They were al busy preparing for contact with Sam.

While Logan made her way in, the people at the project had just made the final adjustments and Ziggy was back online. All the frequency inhibitors worked and it seemed like smooth sailing from here.

“Ziggy, how are you feeling today?” Sam asked. They waited a second. She didn’t say anything. Maybe it didn’t work. Everyone let out a sigh, thinking that they were now no closer to reaching the Sam of this dimension than they were when they arrived at the project.

“I am not familiar with this person. Who am I speaking with?” a voice suddenly said from throughout the control room. Everyone looked up and cheered. It had worked after all.

“Well, I know I’m not sounding like myself, nor am I the one you know, but this is Sam Beckett you’re talking to.” Sam answered.

“That is impossible.” Ziggy said. “ According to my data, Dr. Sam Beckett is still leaping in time. My calculations put him in late 1994, September 24th to be exact. I have not been able to compute the information as to who he has leapt into because Gooshie has not loaded such data into my memory banks yet. That being said, I thought that the project was shut down.” Gooshie finally stepped forward to talk.

“Well, we came across some circumstances that forced us to restart the project on a limited basis.” Gooshie informed Ziggy.

“So project funding has resumed?” She asked.

“Not exactly.” He told her.

“Then the only way you could, would be illegally.” She assumed. “ I know that you would never break the law, it’s not in your nature.”

“Can we get to the problem at hand?” Al finally asked.

“Admiral, is that you? Long time no talk honey.” She spoke up in response to hearing Al’s voice. “ No need to be grouchy in our first conversation in years.” She added. “ What is the problem?” she finally asked.

“ I know this may be hard for you to compute, but Sam from another dimension has ended up here. He has leapt into a young man named Quinn Mallory who has the ability to travel to different dimensions using a remote device. We have contact with the project from the other dimension and they have been helping us out.” Al started to explain.” The Sam from this dimension must leap before Quinn’s friends have to leave this dimension. We have figured that Sam has leapt into Quinn in order to come here and change the Dr. Beckett from this dimension’s fate and bring him home. He has a theory on how to properly update the retrieval program.”

“If this is true, why hasn’t the Dr. Beckett from the other dimension explained this theory to his project in order to bring him home?” Ziggy asked. Finally, Sam stepped back into the conversation.

“When I traveled to this dimension, my full memory was restored and I was easily able to figure out the problem. As to why I haven’t had the project from my dimension update the retrieval program, it would basically be impossible to retrieve me across dimensions. We aren’t even sure that I will be able to leap after accomplishing my mission here. Now is that enough of an explanation?” Sam finished.

“ Oooh, now that sounds like the Dr. Beckett I know.” Ziggy finally said. “That explanation makes sense now that you have told me. If we are indeed trying to get to the task at hand, I need to be informed as to who the Dr. Beckett of this dimension has leapt into.” She stated.

Original URL http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/545/27187
Nominated by sliderules

 

Discuss this post in the HoF Forum
Prev UpNext